BAGUIO CITY: Mayor Benjamin Magalong assured that the safety, convenience and welfare of students will remain to be one of the Summer Capital's priorities, especially now with the resumption of face-to-face learning.

He said the city will continue to address peace and order and health concerns affecting the students to ensure continued and smooth in-school learning throughout the school year. Traffic schemes were adopted last week to ease congestion in preparation for the influx of students which are being monitored for adjustment and improvement daily.

The mayor said all schools that opened had complied with the health and safety seal requirements which include the provision of isolation areas for patients with symptoms or who turned positive. In the case of clustering of cases, the mayor said that the city will not instantly cancel the in-person classes but will assess the situation's manageability.

Students flocked back to schools on August 22 for the first time after two years of virtual classes due to the pandemic. The Department Education Baguio Schools Division headed by City Schools Supt. Federico Martin said more than 85,000 students are enrolled in public and private primary and secondary schools this year as of August.

Data provided by Curriculum Implementation Division Secretary Bryan Jones Bosaing showed that for public schools, a total of 32,854 pupils were enrolled in the 45 kindergarten and elementary schools while 28,324 were enrolled in the 22 high schools.

Get the latest news
delivered to your inbox
Sign up for The Manila Times’ daily newsletters
By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

For private schools, there were 8,046 in 11 kindergarten and 67 elementary schools and 15,848 students in 54 high schools offering junior and senior curricula, and 8 senior high schools.