BUENOS AIRES: Messages of shock and solidarity poured in from around the world on Friday (Saturday in Manila) after a man tried to shoot Argentina's Vice President Cristina Kirchner at point-blank range.

As tens of thousands of Argentines took to the streets in a mass denouncement of political violence, Pope Francis, the United Nations, the United States and Latin American leaders sent messages of support.

Kirchner, 69, survived the attack outside her home in the capital Buenos Aires on Thursday after a loaded handgun aimed directly at her face at close range apparently failed to go off. The dramatic incident was captured on video.

Police were investigating whether the attacker, who was arrested at the scene, had acted alone. A case of aggravated homicide has been opened.

The man in custody was identified as 35-year-old Fernando Andre Sabag Montiel, a Brazilian man with an Argentine mother.

Get the latest news
delivered to your inbox
Sign up for The Manila Times’ daily newsletters
By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

He had previously been arrested for possessing illegal weapons, according to police sources quoted by the news agency Telam.

Images from his social networks showed the man sporting a Nazi tattoo, and police told reporters they had found 100 bullets in an apartment he had been renting on the outskirts of Buenos Aires.

Footage of the incident shows a man pointing a handgun directly at Kirchner, who was president from 2007 to 2015 and faces corruption charges dating from that time. The gun failed to go off.

The incident took place in Buenos Aires' upscale Recoleta neighborhood, where supporters have gathered every night since August 22, when Argentine prosecutors announced they would seek a 12-year sentence against Kirchner and a lifetime ban from politics in an ongoing graft case.

The scene of the crime was cordoned off by police on Friday, with a handful of Kirchner backers gathered nearby.

President Alberto Fernandez announced to the nation that "Cristina remains alive, because, for a reason that has not yet been technically confirmed, the gun which contained five bullets did not fire despite the trigger having been pulled."

He said this was the "most serious event that has happened since we restored democracy" in 1983.

The president declared Friday a public holiday.

Pope Francis, himself a former archbishop of Buenos Aires, sent Kirchner a telegram expressing solidarity, according to the Vatican.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was "shocked" by the events and "condemns this violence," a spokesman said.

And US Secretary of State Antony Blinken tweeted: "We stand with the Argentine government and people in rejecting violence and hate."

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez expressed an "unequivocal condemnation of this assassination attempt."

Latin American politicians also offered support, with messages from Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, Chile's Gabriel Boric, Luis Arce of Bolivia, Mexico's Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador and Guillermo Lasso of Ecuador, among others.

Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brazil's former president who is locked in a fierce election battle, slammed Kirchner's attacker as "a fascist criminal."

His rival, incumbent President Jair Bolsonaro — who survived an assassination attempt on the campaign trail in 2018 — said he had sent Kirchner a note of commiseration.

"Good thing the assailant did not know how to handle weapons," added the controversial far-right leader.

Kirchner enjoys a loyal support base among followers of the center-left Peronism movement inherited from former president Juan Peron, but is disliked in equal measure by the political opposition.

On Twitter, several detractors speculated on Friday that the attack had been staged to shore up support for Kirchner in her time of legal trouble.

Kirchner, a lawyer who succeeded her late husband Nestor Kirchner as president, stands accused of fraudulently awarding public works contracts in her political stronghold of Patagonia.

Government prosecutors accuse her of defrauding the state out of some $1 billion. She denies the claims.